At WellAge Senior Living, we value and honor the sacrifices our veterans and their families have made. To that end, our team members actively encourage veterans and surviving spouses to apply for the Veterans Administration’s Aid and Attendance benefits. This generous supplement can significantly offset the cost of monthly rent for assisted living or memory care services at one of our veteran-proud senior living communities.
Administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits provide monthly payments that are added to a veteran’s existing monthly VA pension. This can help defray care costs—up to a third off the monthly rent—for veterans or surviving spouses in search of assisted living or memory care residences.
The maximum 2021 monthly benefits for qualifying veterans or spouses are:
- Surviving spouse of a veteran: $1,244
- Veteran with no spouse or dependent children: $1,936
- Married couple where the veteran requires care: $2,295
- Veteran’s spouse needs care, but veteran qualifies for Income Improvement Pension: $1,520
Aid and Attendance benefits are reserved for wartime veterans or surviving spouses who demonstrate a regular need for the assistance of a caregiver or who must live in a protected environment due to physical or mental impairment. Eligible recipients must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- You need someone to help you perform daily activities, like bathing, feeding, and dressing.
- You must stay in bed a large portion of the day due to illness.
- You are a nursing home patient with loss of mental or physical abilities related to disability.
- Your eyesight is limited (even with glasses or contacts you have only 5/200 or less in both eyes; or concentric visual contraction of the visual field to five degrees or less).
To apply for Aid and Attendance benefits, visit the VA website and complete the VA Form 21-2680 (Examination for Housebound Status or Permanent Need for Regular Aid and Attendance). On the form:
- Ask your doctor to fill out the examination information section.
- Include other evidence such as what you normally do during the day, how you get places, and what kind of illness or disability affects your ability to live independently.
If you need assistance determining your eligibility or completing an online application, use the VA website’s locator tool to find your local benefits department and contact a VA representative today. You can also call the VA benefits hotline at 800-827-1000 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
WellAge Senior Living is honored to manage communities that provide a safe, welcoming, and supportive environment where our U.S. veterans can continue life’s best experiences. Please note that WellAge Senior Living cannot determine eligibility for Veterans’ Benefits; only the Veterans Administration can determine an applicant’s eligibility.